Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
Looking for the perfect gift
Forever
Perspective
A Heart to Serve
God's Sovereignty
This is a picture of Malcom and Carol with Karen a...
A Calm
Pull of the heart strings
He's "on call"
Antidote for Worry

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Monday, December 05, 2005
Reclaiming my identity
"I am the Good Shepherd, and know my sheep and am known of mine." John 10:14

The other day someone asked me is I felt like I had lost my identity. I hadn't really thought much about it until then and so I've been contemplating it ever since. When tragedy strikes or when life as we know it changes drastically, yes it is possible to lose one's personal identity. What defines me is a myriad of things: I'm a missionary, a wife, a mother, a teacher, a daughter, a musician etc. When Malcom was diagnosed with cancer, suddenly things narrowed down to focus on the "wife" part of me. Taking care of him of necessity consumed much of my time, thoughts, and energy. When people saw me or talked to me their first thoughts were to ask about how he was doing. I have had to make adjustments to do things and handle things that previously he did. So I guess for a while I felt defined by the circumstances of life.

Now that Malcom is well on his way to restored health, the other things that define me are emerging again. I've begun to find ways to use my music for the Lord at church. I'm able to give more attention to doing those things that a missionary does...for even though we are not bodily present in Taiwan, today's technology allows us to still be very much involved with our people and ministry. Besides that, the work of a missionary is not limited to a geographical area!

I think it's important to remember that first and foremost my true identity is wrapped up not in who's wife I am or who's mother I am, but rather in the fact that I am Christ's child. Or as He puts it, I am His sheep. He knows me and I know Him. There is no loss of identity there! I am His and He is mine.

Malcom finished his chemo treatment last Friday. He had an allergic reaction to some medication given for the inevitable mouth infection, so that has caused some discomfort. All the other side affects are there as well, a little more bothersome each time it seems. But over all he is doing well, a fact for which we continually lift our praise to God.

 
posted at 7:23 PM  
4 comments


4 Comments:
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Malcom and Carol,

Both Sherry and I are glad to hear that both of you are doing well. We are thankful to the Lord that Malcom is on the road to good health. It is our prayer that God helps both of you in all of your needs.

May God bless both of you.

In Christ,

Maurice & Sherry Young

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to know that no matter how old we are or what we are going through, we have a Heavenly Father that loves and comforts us. Even though we see you at Noble Hill, it's nice reading your devotions and keeping up on Malcom's progress. You both have been great role models for all of us at church. Seeing Malcom read missionary letters, give testimonies and most of all, winning people to the Lord when most of us would be home, because we didn't feel well, takes away any excuse we may think we have. It's also a real joy to hear Carol playing the piano and organ and singing special music and being involved in the choir. I know their church in Taiwan misses them, but for a little while, we have been blessed to see an example of what we should be while going through difficult times. May you (Malcom) have a wonderful Birthday this Thursday and many more.
Vivian

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malcom, I wanted to be one of the first ones to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I hope it is a blessed one. You and Carol have been and encouragement to me. You are in my prayers. Love you, Joanne (Jo)

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY, MALCOM!!
I am so glad that your treatments are working and you have improved. Carol, your testimonies always encourage me. Thank you.
Lovingly,
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home