Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
In Taiwan
When darkness seems to hide His face
Being strong
Our Deliverer
Gladness in my heart
The love choice
God at work
Let God be magnified
Cherry blossom days
Hide and Keep

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Due Time
"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time." 1 Peter 5:6

There are two very difficult tasks that are mentioned or implied in this verse. The first is to humble ourselves under God’s mighty hand. Usually when we think “God’s hand is upon so-and-so," we mean that God is blessing that person, using them, empowering them. That does not appear to be the meaning here. “Enduring” times of blessings is not difficult. What I think Peter is referring to is a time of persecution (4:14), trials (4:12), and suffering (4:15). These things, like God’s blessings, have come to us by God’s permission and we feel the heavy burden of God’s hand upon us at such times.

We are not to react to such times by complaining to God, being angry with God or even ignoring God. We are to react to trials that God is allowing by humbling ourselves: submission to the trial because we know it comes from God.

I am reminded of certain times while raising our five children when I had to discipline them. It was a trial to them but could be over in a very short time with little pain if they submitted. Sometimes a child would not submit. Well, I could not administer the discipline (swats on the back side) until they did. I would not just hit them any place. Finally when they stood still and took the swats we could be done. Usually it wasn’t as bad as they imagined it would be.

We have to learn to humble ourselves and take the trial and learn the lessons God wants to teach us.

The second difficult task is implied. We are to wait for a future “due time” when God would exalt us. Waiting is so hard especially when the time you have to wait is decided by someone else and you are in the dark. In such times, we can only trust God. I wish God would have healed me early on in my sickness, but then I might have missed meeting someone that needed my encouragement or counsel. I wish that God would have healed me before the chemo destroyed the nerves in my hands making it hard to type or even button my clothes, but He decided that I needed this painful experience. When will God heal me? In due time and until that time arrives, I can only wait and trust.

I recall a time when I was small and got sick at school. The school nurse called my Dad to come pick me up. He took, what seemed to me to be, forever to get to my school. Finally, he drove up and I got in the car to go home. On days like that Dad always made one stop on the way home – to buy me an ice cream. In due time my Father will send me what I need and it will be the comfort that I have longed for.

 
posted at 8:15 PM  
7 comments


7 Comments:
At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malcom,
Your words humble me as they show such willingness to surrender to God's design for your life. Truly each day is a gift and I am grateful that God has given you sustaining grace. I am praying for your strength and healing. Truly in God's timing we will all be healed.
Sue Moore

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malcom, you and Carol won our hearts when you came to our church many yrs ago. You were one of the first missionaries we took on for support....and our hearts were forever captured for missions. This morning, as I read your post, I was blessed and encouraged. (My husband is facing a very difficult situation this morning.) Both you & Carol have a special place in my heart and my prayers continue to go up for you. God has demonstrated to me many times, these past 10 years, that His grace is sufficient for my every situation. Asking God to be your strength for today. (Formally Mrs Kenneth P Baker) - Anne Gordon

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy to read your blog.
Love,
Kelly

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Malcom,
Ilove you as a son and I pray for allways, Your words you wrote are encouring to me, Keep the faith son
Mom Askew

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Thank you Pastor for this particular entry. This entry and last week's message had given me the answer I was looking for. It's been a lot of encouragement. God has really given me the answers through your words. Love you and Mom lots! Take care...

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Malcom,
I expected the blog to be from Carol but seeing it is from your own heart causes me to reflect even more on how much God loves us and strengthens us each day. I am praying for you both as you make the return trip back. I think of you as my little brother....and pray for you.
Lovingly,
M

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger magillrn said...

Papa,

I love that you ask "When will God heal me?" instead of "Will God heal Me?" Your faith has always astounded me. I miss you right now and I pray that you are feeling strong.

~Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home