Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
New Mercies
Too Many to Count
Much to do about stuff
The Reality of Answered Prayer
A Surprise Answer to a Secret Prayer
Submission
Remembering Sue
Greatest Joy
He didn't forget
How does your Pineapple grow?

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Sunday, September 30, 2007
No shame in hope
“We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:3-5 (ESV)
And now for the final installment in the saga of The Pineapple Plant: When I returned to Taiwan in early August, the now famous pineapple was beginning to ripen and was too heavy to stand up. It literally had to be propped up so that it wouldn’t fall over. I was amazed at the huge leafy top it sported for such a small pineapple! (It certainly was the smallest full-grown pineapple I had ever seen.) After another week or so I observed that it was ripe enough for picking, so I plucked it from its bed of leaves and enjoyed showing it off to the delight of anyone who visited my home.


While that pineapple was growing, I imagined one day being able to share it with friends. But the day I sliced it for eating, there was scarcely enough for one person, so I sat down and with a thankful heart to the Lord enjoyed every bite while imagining what Malcom might think if he knew his pineapple plant had finally produced a piece of fruit. It might have been small, but it was sweet!

Now should I decide to grow another pineapple, I think I am much wiser to the techniques of container gardening. In retrospect, I realize we should have increased its pot size each year, which would have allowed the roots sufficient expansion room. Perhaps next time there will be a larger pineapple to eat. I can always hope! After all, the pineapple for me was a symbol of hope for the future. In the months since discovering fruit on that formerly barren plant, God has enriched my life in so many ways and truly allowed me to experience the joy of hope fulfilled.

“But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.” Psalm 71:14 (KJV)

 
posted at 11:45 PM  
3 comments


3 Comments:
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol - Love the picture of you with the pineapple - So glad to see you doing well. We miss you here at "home" and pray for you as you continue the work.
Mychere

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you .


Love Calire
in Taiwan

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's hope is unfailling.. Continue to trust him to inspire you. He is able to do exceedingly and abundantly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home