Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
Reclaiming my identity
Looking for the perfect gift
Forever
Perspective
A Heart to Serve
God's Sovereignty
This is a picture of Malcom and Carol with Karen a...
A Calm
Pull of the heart strings
He's "on call"

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Thursday, December 08, 2005
The blessing of another birthday
"Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee." Psalm 84: 5, 12

Today is Malcom's 53rd birthday. This morning I praised the Lord that I opened my eyes to another morning snuggled next to my wonderful husband. This day is a blessing!

In Taiwan we always tried to give special recognition to the birthday people. I usually baked a cake at least once a month for the birthday celebrants. It is interesting how different cultures view this. Americans, for the most part, like to celebrate birthdays, especially for children. As we get older we often let the day go by without mentioning if we can get away with it. If it is celebrated, it's others bringing the greeting to us. Taiwanese don't make a big deal about birthdays except the "big" ones like 60, 70, 80, etc. On the other hand, the Filipinos love marking their birth date and they are the one to put on the party, preparing food and cake for all their friends!

I like our Filipino friend's view of birthdays. They have taught us to bless the Lord for the day. Many times I have heard this type of praise: "I thank God that He has blessed me with another year." Rather than dread growing older, they look forward in anticipation and bless the Lord for His graciousness in adding another year of life.

That is my praise today, especially as I reflect on the last few months and realize that at one point we did not know if Malcom would be able to celebrate this day. Today truly is a blessing. And I am so blessed to have him in my life--a man of God who epitomizes today's verses. His strength, his heart, and his trust are in the Lord.

 
posted at 11:28 AM  
5 comments


5 Comments:
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nfphyA HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
MAY YOU FELL JESUS NEAR.
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
AND THE BEST YEAR YOU'VE EVER HAD !!!!!

Happy Birthday Malcom!

All my love
Rick M

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am so thankful that you still have your wonderful husband !! I hope he catches me in age......Ü
God bless you both.
Lovingly,
M

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Malcom. If you keep it up, you're going to catch up with me. You and Carol are in our hearts and prayers.
Love,
Fred and Joyce

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

       
       
       
    生  日  快  樂 !
       
“報 福 音 傳 喜 訊 的 人
  他 們 的 腳 蹤 何 等 佳 美”
           羅馬書九:15
           
          
         Stephan&Claire
IN 台灣

 

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to pastor! And I know that I will praise with the sentence on my birthday : "I thank God that He has blessed me with another year."
Suzanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home