Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
The blessing of another birthday
Reclaiming my identity
Looking for the perfect gift
Forever
Perspective
A Heart to Serve
God's Sovereignty
This is a picture of Malcom and Carol with Karen a...
A Calm
Pull of the heart strings

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Getting through the holidays
"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." Psalm 42:11

Here it is December 13 and we finally managed to put up some Christmas lights on the outside of the house. No tree to trim inside yet, but as they say in Taiwan "slow, slow, come" meaning "take it a little at a time." If last year and this year are any indication, I think that's the way we are going to get through the holidays for a while. Grief does that to us. Every holiday season, especially Christmas, brings a fresh reminder of the now incomplete family circle. Depression rears it's ugly head and threatens to steal our joy. This year I gave myself excuses for delaying the decorating, but finally I had to admit that whether consciously or subconsciously, I was avoiding it because truthfully it's painful. I busied myself last week with sewing costumes for the Christmas parade, with practicing music for Sunday's special and focusing on other things. For some strange reason I can do those things joyfully, but the thought of bringing out the Christmas ornaments and trimming a tree seems too hard. I guess there is no need to explain it or understand it. God created me with the capacity for these emotions and it's okay to just accept that certain intimate family traditions will naturally stir up the grieving heart.

As always, God's Word is an encouragement to me. In Psalm 42 I discover from the Psalmist how to deal with depression:
(1) Pour out your soul to the Lord (vs.1-4)
(2) Remember the past blessings of the Lord (vs. 5-8)
(3) Hope in the Lord (vs. 9-11)
(4) Praise the Lord (vs. 5, 11)

Tomorrow Malcom begins chemo treatment #9. He is dreading it because it makes him feel so bad, but yet he knows it is helping. There will be another CEA test done and we will know how things are progressing. All prayers gratefully accepted and appreciated!

 
posted at 12:46 AM  
2 comments


2 Comments:
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray for the pastor to get over the side effects of chemo treatment. Lord will heal the pastor for Pslms said "Put your life in the hands of the Lord; have faith in him and he will do it."
Suzanne

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Kathy Carlton Willis said...

Carol-I am praying for you as you go through the emotions of the holidays with all the ups and downs you have been through the past five years. You are right-no need to feel bad about it-emotions just ARE-and there is not one emotion that very GOD has not experienced Himself. May the ultimate emotion that wins out be PEACE.

Love you, girlfriend!
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home