Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
The Reality of Answered Prayer
A Surprise Answer to a Secret Prayer
Submission
Remembering Sue
Greatest Joy
He didn't forget
How does your Pineapple grow?
Curiosity or Compassion?
I Much Prefer Pleasant
Lantern Festival

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Saturday, July 21, 2007
Much to do about stuff
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

The other day I opened my computer as usual only to discover that everything was gone. What a shock! All programs, emails, documents, pictures and files were missing. It was as if somehow during the night the hard drive had been wiped clean. My initial reaction was one of panic. I began to think of all the important data that I had not backed up which now was forever lost. The more I meditated on it, the worse I felt.

At that moment I recognized the familiar feeling of loss for something that could not be changed nor restored. In that instant I realized that I had allowed "stuff" (namely my computer) to hold an important spot in my heart. I had a choice to make. Would I allow myself to be controlled and even devastated by this turn of events, or would I put the loss in it's proper perspective? Things can be replaced. My relationship with God, with my husband, with my children--these are the important things of life. With a contrite heart I turned to the Lord and confessed I had made much to do about stuff.

You know what? None of my circumstances had changed, but the meditation of my heart had turned to thankfulness for the blessings I have and for a loving God who used "stuff" to reboot my attitude.



 
posted at 10:22 PM  
5 comments


5 Comments:
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Friend,
I am sorry for the loss of this "stuff", but thank you for this great reminder that such is just "stuff". The REAL things in life are just that: REAL and are not losable because they are in HIS care.
Lovingly,
M

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear mom Carol, I can't deny that i admire you because you can always find a blessing even to a worst things that happened to you life everyday...hope i can be like you.

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,

I can totally understand your feeling of dismay. The computer problems I had earlier this year resulted in my loss of important documents & scanned pictures, too. Some documents will need to be retyped and pictures rescanned. While reading your blog and thinking about my lost computer files, God pointed out to me that even though electronic files can't be "seen" or "touched," they are still very real and valuable. In that I just realized they are like the feelings of others, which are equally real and valuable, but can't be seen or touched. I'm reminded of the many times I've not been as thoughtful of other's feelings as I should be - not Christ-like. Definitely a sobering realization and energizer for me to walk much closer to our Lord.

Love you dear friend,

MS

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger blondethai said...

Ah ha!! So you up and get married while I am still on the road. I am sooooooooo happy for you. I remember calling you right after you were asked on your first 'date'. You go girl. Hugs, your evil stepsister!

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, your take on life's situations really blesses me. I like this idea of God "rebooting" an attitude. Great analogy there.

By the way, the verse you include in your post is one I used to repeat every Sunday night at youth group many years ago. We'd stand and say it together. It has stuck with me all my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home