Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
I Much Prefer Pleasant
Lantern Festival
Symbols of Hope
Something to Consider
Treasures of the Snow
Treasures in Darkness
Giving God the pen
Home for Christmas
Waiting for a Miracle
How good it is...exclamation point!

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Curiosity or Compassion?
“But when he [Jesus] saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.” Matthew 9:36

As I was driving the 2 hour trip to Kaoshiung the other day, I was once again struck by the beauty of the mountains here in Taiwan. Malcom and I used to make that trip weekly to teach bible college classes. It had now been about two years since I had traveled that highway. However, it wasn’t just the beautiful scenery that drew my attention, but the sight of a large idol—a gold Buddha probably 10 stories tall set in the mountain side, towering over the land. My heart was gripped with sadness as I reflected that such a sight was common in this country, and indeed symbolized the very real stronghold that Satan has on the Taiwanese people.

I am reminded of the first year we lived in Taiwan about 34 years ago. At that time we were here with the US Air Force. While many Americans and other tourists enjoyed visiting the temples to view the architecture and see the worship practices of a different culture, I could never enjoy a moment of it. For once you look upon people through the eyes of Jesus, it is compassion that grips you, not curiosity. Then the dilemma is presented: the harvest is great but the laborers are few (vs. 37).

Taiwan is still a very spiritually needy mission field. But there’s a shortage of laborers and the numbers are fewer than a year ago. I’m praying to the “Lord of the harvest” that someone will move from simply curiosity to true compassion.

Labels: , ,


 
posted at 12:15 PM  
12 comments


12 Comments:
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,

Thanks for reflecting!

Was sweet.

With compassion,
Mike
Birmingham, Alabama

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,

If Mr. Turton could only see the real passion of your heart, he would know that it is not hate that grips you. Keep on making a difference for the cause of Christ.

Carole

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Friend,
I thought about how that drive might affect you. I remember how you used to write about your going ( every Tuesday?) and I knew it would bring many thoughts and memories to your heart and mind. I can imagine the gripping burden the large image brought. My prayers and love are with you....Lovingly, M

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Turton: Who are you - how may I contact you...and why in the world would you come to my sisters blog that was created to share her and Malcom's journey thru the perils of cancer and post a hateful comment like that without knowing anything about her? please contact me at al_hursh@hotmail.com. My name is Alice Hursh - my sister is Carol Feistel and she is ANYTHING but gripped by hate.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I find your thankful list? I remember reading it when you first mentioned it, but haven't revisited it in awhile. See you soon for graduation!

Carole

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Here is the link for my 1,000 gifts list:
http://cfeistel.spaces.live.com/
I haven't updated it since December. Yikes! Thanks for prompting me to do that...

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Don't you just love the people that troll around just to be rude. So Sad. I was very impressed to see that you had been there for 34 years. WOW!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Jungle mom, actually we were here only for 1 year 34 years ago, then returned 8 years later as missionaries.

The nay-sayers don't bother me. I'm in good company...just read Nehemiah!

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Green meadow said...

I am native-born Taiwaner and have been around by those temple "beauty" and teample activites as I grew up. But never did I have a real chance to look closely at them, until a couple of months ago when I had to visit them for my study. At first I looked at those people with curiousity, but later wtih compassion. According to the classmates who did the study with me, there were some rules to obey in entering any of the temples; one of them is that you bai-bai (拜拜)before entering, even when you don't even know what "god" lives in there. Well, how do you worship someone you don't even know? For them, it is to secure them not to be harmed by some "unknown." But if they know our Saviour, they wouldn't need that to bring security.

Shirley

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Thank you for your comments, Shirley. It's not the culture that needs changing, it's the eternal destiny of those blinded by idol worship (and call it culture) that needs to be changed. I hope more Taiwanese will catch the vision!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Green meadow said...

Well, that is so true, people tend to call this kind of thing "culture" and hold the view that we can't disrespect any of the cultures. Worse than that, even Chrisitans agree with the existence of some "cultures" and use them to criticise the Scriptures. Frankly speaking, I have, unconsciously become one of them and was just reminded that we should do it the other way round, that is, to use the Scriptures to examine our (crooked) modern cultures.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, what a touching post. You are truly a woman after God's own heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home