Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
Pray for our friend
Understanding Holiness
Batting practice
No More Sea
The Marvelous Mundane
Sustaining Grace
A look back
Good things to cherish
Body and Spirit
Prompted to Pray

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Does God answer prayer?
"And all things, whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive." Matthew 21:22


This is a question that I have struggled with since our daughter Sue drowned last year. At one point I could not even pray, or if I did it was without faith because in my pain I thought, "God is going to do what He wants to do anyway, so why bother asking." Suddenly my prayers seemed useless. I looked in the Bible at those promises which seemed to guarantee that whatever I asked God would do and experientially realized that couldn't possibly be the meaning of those verses! If not, then what do they mean?

I think the answer lies in rightly dividing the Word of Truth. (1 Timothy 2:15) Comparing scripture with scripture I find that answered prayer isn't me telling God what I want and Him giving it. It involves faith, holy living, right motives, asking according to His will, and relinquishing the control or outcome totally to Him alone. Prayer says...God, here is what I want, but You alone are God, You alone know if this is best for me, so I trust You.

Asking and receiving is only a small part of the purpose of prayer. The greater part is recognizing I need Him, realizing He is able to meet my needs, and believing that in the grand scheme of things, He will do what is best for me, His beloved child.

Malcom is into what is usually his "up" week after chemo the previous week. He does have more energy and better appetite than last week. But there is some new pain that has us both a little anxious. Oh how we desire that the cancer is abating, but when there is something new like this, it is easy to begin to fear again. So, I ask you to continue to pray for a miracle. Once again we reaffirm our faith in God's perfect understanding and unfailing faithfulness.

 
posted at 11:37 AM  
7 comments


7 Comments:
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,
We will be praying for this new situation, and for God's will for both you and Malcom. And I keep asking over and over for Malcom's recovery. Sometimes our children ask us several times before we finally grant their desire. I'm so glad God doesn't mind our prayers for the same thing over and over. Love, CB

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol & Malcom,
I just talked to Joanne Owens Petty and she shared what you are going through. I am praying for you and your family. May God continue to pour his blessings of love and comfort upon you. I know so many people love you all over the world and you have spread much love and goodness in this sometimes-difficult world.
With much thought, love and prayers,
Carla Baker Poling (Austin, TX)

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carol,
Your post reminds me of the right thoughts about prayers. Sometimes I just don't know if God listens to my prayer and the answer is God's answer. It makes me hesitate to pray for I can not see the answer of God. Now I know that the most important thing is to recognize that I need Him, He will do what is best for me. I will continue praying for you and Michael.
Suzanne

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,
Thank you again for these inward looks into your heart. I praise God for you. You are always a blessing to me. I am glad this is Malcom's good week - and I hope it is just that : GOOD.

Lovingly
M

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CF and Malcom,
I really appreciate how you are teaching me about trust, faith, and today, prayer. I agree so totally with what you said. That is where we rest in God, when we can trust Him in our prayers. We will continue to advocate before God's throne in prayer for God to give healing to Malcom.
Sue M

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Cindy Swanson said...

Hi Carol! Do you remember me from KWFC? I worked with Malcom in the late 70's. Thanks for visiting my blog...I'll bookmark yours as well!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger magillrn said...

This is something I have struggled with as well. I have certainly prayed differently for my Papa than I did for Sue. I felt cheated when she died, like God had ignored my requests. It is difficult to see His love in situations like that. My expectations have changed, not because I found God to be less than He said He would be but because I have found that to expect what I see as the best outcome is limiting God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home