Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
No spin reality
Brothers and Friends
From "we" to "me"
A new chapter
Funeral Details
Gathered Home
His time, not mine
One size fits all
One more work
I walk in His faithfulness

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Tomatoes and Memories
"Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on...that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them." Revelation 14:13

There are four tomato plants in the backyard which Malcom planted in early spring. They are producing quite well and I have been eating fresh vine-ripened tomatoes every day. There is a story here, too. The last two times Malcom planted tomato plants in Taiwan, he never had the opportunity to enjoy eating the fruit of his labor because each time we made a trip back to the US just before they were ripe. Others enjoyed them “for” us and had fun teasing Malcom about planting tomatoes for them. This year when he planted the plants, he wondered if he would enjoy them this time, but it wasn’t to be so. On the morning of his funeral, I looked out the window and spied one small cherry tomato bright red and ready to pick. I buried it with him, so that he did indeed get the first tomato!

Now each time I eat one, I think fondly of Malcom’s love for gardening and planting. There are many fond memories of time spent together planting, pruning, watering, picking. It’s a legacy he has left me to enjoy now in the form of real tomatoes and later in memories.

But there is another legacy that I have from him that is even more precious. He was always faithful in spending time with the Lord, daily reading his Bible and praying for our children, church, and ministry. I came across one of his journals yesterday in which he recorded some of his prayers. Wow! What an awesome record to leave behind. I was touched to the core at the depth of his love for God, his love and concern for me, our children and grandchildren, his desire to serve the Lord faithfully and his compassion for the lost. His prayers reflect his humility and awe of God who loved an unworthy sinner. He has left me a legacy of true faithfulness that I can follow, even praying his prayers if I want to when overwhelmed by sorrow. It is a blessing and comfort.

 
posted at 3:39 PM  
7 comments


7 Comments:
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Carol. What a blessing you are to me. I know you are human...but what an amazing trust in God you have...and you display a truly amazing grace. I am praying for you. Brenda T.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right, Carol. And I am truly blessed by your latest entry.

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,

I want you to know that I am praying for you. You have been on my mind quite a bit. Having lost my husband a little over 2 years ago, I know some of your sorrow and pain.
But, God is the God of all comfort. Praise God for the memories and those 'things' that they have left behind for us.
Please know I continue to pray for you.
Linda M

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Friend,

What a blessing this post is to me. I hope you will continue to find wonderful things like this to embrace in your heart.
Lovingly, M

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carol,
Thanks for the sharing of your
thoughts. They help me a lot.
Suzanne

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again I cannot express in words the joy and comfort your words have brought to me. God has touched me boutifully in my friendship with you and Malcom. Your comfort becomes mine. Your solitude in the Lord becomes mine.
Thank you for your friendship and for sharing God's touch in life with so many others. It won't be until eternity that you both truly know how many and how much you have minsitered to others in your time of need. Thank you for being willing to share and to be used.

Rick M

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, Carol, your blogs are so hard to read! My eyes keep dripping and my cheeks stay wet and I just wish there was something I could do or say...
I think of you fondly often and God gives me a prayer for you. Please keep writing as your words encourage and inspire me...Love you, your best friend in Thailand, JOY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home