Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
The antidote of music
The God Who Sees Me
Tomatoes and Memories
No spin reality
Brothers and Friends
From "we" to "me"
A new chapter
Funeral Details
Gathered Home
His time, not mine

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Saturday, August 19, 2006
In the Shadow
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

A shadow is something that can only exist where there is light. If I see the dark image of my shadow on one side, I can turn and gaze upon the brightness of the sun on the other side. As a child, I recall laying in my bed at night making shadow figures dance upon the wall. There was just enough light coming in the window from the moon to fuel my playtime. A shadow really is nothing to be feared. And yet, when we find ourselves immersed in the shadows, seemingly unable to see the light source, fear creeps in and the darkness stalks the sensitive emotions.

I live in these two extremes--shadow and light. Every day I live under the shadow that death has cast upon my life. The shadow is filled with sadness and loneliness. The shadow is very real. Sometimes the reality of it overwhelms me. I cannot deny it, it does exist. But there is light in my life too: my family, my friends, my church, my Lord. If I linger in the shadows I will soon despair, so with effort each day I turn and gaze upon the brightness of the Son of God and all that He provides. It is a valley I walk in that is not of my own choosing. So I draw strength from the promises of Psalm 23 verse 4: "...Thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." He says He is with me. But just in case I cannot see Him in the shadow, I can touch the rod or staff and know He is there.

 
posted at 1:01 AM  
3 comments


3 Comments:
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,
I am so glad you are continuing to share your heart with us. My father in law passed away this past Sunday and I know that my mother in law is now on her on journey through these shadows. The sadness I feel can't compare to her pain, butI believe the things you have shared will help me understand what she is going through, and my husband also. Thank you again, and you remain in my prayers daily.
Libby

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mom Carol,
I miss you so much, I wish i could give you a hug. Psalms 23 also comforts me in times of fear and sadness because it gives us that great hope that He will always be on our side in every situation we are in. Everytime i read this blog, i can always picture pastor Malcom's smile. I don't know why but I just do. My daughter Kylee wore again the dress you gave her and she looks very cute in it (she is now 9 months).
In Christ's love,
Leslie

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,
Once again I am amazed at the depth of your perception, and the gift God has given you, of putting your feelings and His truth into words. Keep it up! It leaves me nearly speechless at times. (God let me share that, a few years ago when I was walking through "my own" valley...)
Love always,
Ruth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home