Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
Sitting on the Edge of Glory
Heart Lag
The Tides
To hear "Words of Song" click here.
Words of song to fill my heart
How I'm really doing
Guiding Star
A time to mourn
In the Shadow
The antidote of music

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Sunday, October 22, 2006
Exposing the Strength Myth
“Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions…out of weakness was made strong…” Hebrews 11:33-34

I’ve heard it said over and over again. Maybe not the same words, but the general essence of what I call the “Strength Myth” comes through loud and clear. It ranks right up there with the myriad of internet hoaxes and urban legends circulating today. This myth says,

“You are strong, therefore you can ______.”

Just fill in the blank: …learn another language; ….be a missionary; …resist temptation; …endure suffering; and the list goes on and on! It seems whatever someone does not want to do or does not want to face can be easily written off with the excuse of weakness.

Do we imagine that God listens to this line of thinking and says, “You’re right, you are too weak. You’re off the hook. Ok, next!”? The scriptures abound with illustrations of men and women who could have excused themselves that way. Abraham and Sarah claimed old age. Moses claimed weakness of speech. Elijah claimed physical exhaustion. The Israelites had no giant to pit against Goliath. Gideon claimed a poor family heritage. Paul had a physical ailment. Esther had no right to speak to the king unbidden.

All these people found out the amazing truth about weakness: When I reach the end of my own resources, when I cannot do it, God takes over and miracles happen! God is not searching for “strong” people to live a godly life. He chooses to work through our weakness thereby magnifying His great power in us to accomplish what we could never do on our own.

What you see in my life…the ability to endure multiple tragedies, the courage to return to the mission field, the strength to encourage others, the tenacity to carry on…these are not “my” qualities. I can only claim weakness. It is the Lord’s ability, the Lord’s courage, His strength and His tenacity which I draw upon daily. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 
posted at 9:11 AM  
7 comments


7 Comments:
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol - once again "you" have spoken to my heart... Keep writing the thoughts the Lord gives you, and keep blessing us.
Four months, huh? Nearly two weeks for our family - this time around. Do you think He keeps allowing these "losses" to make us long more for Heaven...??
Love you, friend.
As always,
Ruth.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol - one more thing - I am anxious to have all these thoughts you have written since a year or more ago, in book form...!
May God continue to bless you and your ministry - no matter where you are.
Love,
Ruth.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a GREAT idea to put all the thoughts in book form! I vote yes on all of that. God has given you great insight in your weakness and it has shown His stength in you. God bless you my friend. We pray for you and watch for udpates daily.

We love you.

Rick and Sue.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, this is wodnerful and it touched my heart. I so appreciate the time you take to share with us what God puts on your heart.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, my friend, good stuff!! I'm still casting my vote for the book too. Watch for an email from me tomorrow. I love you and you're in my thoughts and prayers often.

Your friend!
Carole Miller

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, your thoughts are such a blessing! God is certainly using you in a mighty way to encourage and inspire others during your trials. We are praying for you back here.
Leslie Belasco (at the mision office)

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came upon your blog and read this post. How it spoke to me and gave me the right perspective on a situation that I am deaing with right now. Thank you. I know that God has His hand in our lives and we must look to Him for direction and not to the worldly way of doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home