Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
Giving God the pen
Home for Christmas
Waiting for a Miracle
How good it is...exclamation point!
It Takes Time
Feeling Abandoned By God
Attitude of Gratitude
Save that for another day
Exposing the Strength Myth
Sitting on the Edge of Glory

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Monday, January 22, 2007
Treasures in Darkness
“And I will give you the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.” Isaiah 45:3

The ice storm of the century hit the Ozarks last week causing downed trees, limbs and power lines. I was without electrical power for more than a week. During this time life consisted of simple survival. Without the benefit of electricity, the daylight hours became precious as I welcomed the dawn each morning and dreaded sunset when once again the darkness closed in.

During this time, I learned some things—like how to start and keep a fire going in the fireplace! I can do more than I thought I could—like split wood. I discovered I can tolerate cooler temperatures. Because of the forced darkness, my refrigerator got a complete cleaning, I had the chance to help neighbors, a chance for more time spent with family without the television. I learned to be more thankful for the modern conveniences we all take for granted and to appreciate simple things like candles, batteries, books.

It seems an unlikely place, but there are treasures in darkness. “The Lord has said that He would dwell in the thick darkness.” (2 Chronicles 6:1) Even though I don't enjoy trials, I must admit that there are things learned in this place that could only be learned in darkness. It is the place of knowing God on a deeper level and coming to a greater understanding of my own strengths and weaknesses. Facing the darkness brings me closer to the Light.

 
posted at 2:14 AM  
8 comments


8 Comments:
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is Fisher Yu, Chinese teacher at Morrison. I wrote some words in this here once and I am not sure if you read it.

Dwight Johnson told me your story and the blog. I wrote a short introduction in my bolg about your family, and I started writing 1000 thanks to God. I have come to 51 today.

I write articles for Chritian Tribune, which is issued 3 days a week. The editors there read what I wrote about you. They asked your permission to have an interview with you and shre yout story with the newspaper readers.

My email is
fisher099tw@yahoo.com.tw
tel. (04) 2291-2908 (after 6:30 pm)
cell: 0972-357-911

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Revised version:

This is Fisher Yu, Chinese teacher at Morrison. I wrote some words in this blog here once and I am not sure if you read it.

Dwight Johnson told me your story and the blog. I wrote a short introduction in my bolg about your family, and I started writing 1000 thanks to God, too. I have come to 51 today.

I write articles for Christian Tribune, which is issued 3 days a week. The editors there read what I wrote about you. They asked me for your permission to make an interview with you and share yout story with the newspaper readers.

My email is
fisher099tw@yahoo.com.tw
tel. (04) 2291-2908 (after 6:30 pm)
cell: 0972-357-911

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

沒電的日子ㄧ定很難受,希望天氣可以變好一些,祝福您生活ㄧ切安好。
來自台灣的STEVEN BETTY STEPHANIE SHARA

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missing you very much!!!
wish you cam come back soon.
by stephanie

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Memories for a Lifetime said...

Praying for you as God brings you to mind. I have used your story/testimony as an encouragement to others and am thankful that you see and recognize God in the midst of you journey.

May you be especially blessed as you seek Him this week.

Looking forward to more posts soon!!

You encourage me in my walk...

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Dwight said...

We're proud of you! You've earned your merit badge. Looking forward to getting an update when you get back.
Dwight

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading you account was very intersting Im glad the sun came back DIA

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

The light is brightest where it is darkest. I remember when we lived in the jungle and would light our coleman lantern...it seemed SOOO bright! But here in the city a 60 watt bulb is dull. We often fill our lives with "artificial" light, and thus the "True Light of the World" seems less bright. great post, once again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home