Contributors
Carol
feistyrallygirl

Recent Posts
Waiting for a Miracle
How good it is...exclamation point!
It Takes Time
Feeling Abandoned By God
Attitude of Gratitude
Save that for another day
Exposing the Strength Myth
Sitting on the Edge of Glory
Heart Lag
The Tides

Search


Archives
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
April 2008
April 2009
May 2009
September 2010

Favorite Blog Links
Musings From the Manse
Side Family Blog
Stories of Sue
Amy's Rally Blog

Credit
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Miscellaneous
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Home for Christmas
“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26

I have a small wooden wall decoration done up in country style, hand painted with a bit of raffia tied around the wire hanger. It reads “All hearts go home for Christmas”. This reminds me of the common saying “Home is where the heart is”. This year it seems I can’t find “home”. No matter where I am, there is a deep sadness and longing for Malcom, the one who captured my heart 34 years ago. It is the first Christmas without him and my heart is restless for home.

I really should not complain. I was abundantly blessed of the Lord with a wonderful husband for so many years. I have friends and family who love me, demonstrate their love and care in so many ways. By the time this year of 2006 ends, I will have had special times with each of our children and with many of my dear friends. And yet my flesh and my heart fails. I don’t want to be ungrateful. I don’t want to feel sad. I chide myself that Christmas is not about me, but about the Savior. I try to summon up the determination to get past my pain and focus on living life to the full now. But it seems an impossible task. Every day I do my best to look for the blessings in life, to smile and laugh. I have gotten quite good, I think, at doing and saying all the right things. But in the night hours, when the sun has gone down and the quietness settles in, I know that I’m still struggling. I have not succeeded in making myself any less of a “mess” than I felt 6 months ago.

Perhaps God is reminding me that in my own strength I can do nothing. In Psalm 73 the psalmist aptly describes the failure of the flesh and the sovereignty of God. I long for the day when the words of verse 25 can truly be my words, “Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You.” I haven’t quite arrived at that spot yet, but I can join with the psalmist in verse 26. I freely admit my frailty and complete dependence on God. He is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

 
posted at 11:43 PM  
5 comments


5 Comments:
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I can say is that your treasure truley is in Heaven now.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tristin is still praying for you and we love you. As you know our weakness is His strength, His opportunity to hold us closer while we weep. Know that the summit is ahead and He is going to see you to that summit in time.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Memories for a Lifetime said...

It is difficult to move forward at times, especially when your heart sorrows!! Purpose that FOR TODAY, you will rest in the Lord and allow your joy and reason to be in Him and HIm only---Read Psalm 121 over and over and pray for opportunities for joy to help you through those darkest hours.

You are in our prayers!

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I TO AM TAKING THE JOURNEY YOU ARE ON RIGHT NOW. MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY IN SEPT OF 2006. I HAVE FOUND THAT ALL THE VERSES QUOTED IN THE BIBLE CAN NOT TAKE AWAY THE PAIN I FEEL RIGHT NOW. I CAN LAUGH NOW ALSO, BUT NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T CRY. HE IS ON MY MIND EVERY SECOND OF EVERYDAY AND I AM ENDLESSLY SAYING "LORD, PLEASE TELL HIM I LOVE HIM" OR I JUST SAY "I LOVE YOU HONEY, I LOVE YOU". HOW I WILL GET THROUGH THIS ONLY "GOD" KNOWS, BUT I TRUST HIM. I AM VERY SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF BOTH YOUR HUSBAND AND YOU DAUGHTER. YOU HAVE INDEED BEEN GIVEN A HEAVY LOAD TO BARE. I PRAY JESUS WILL CARRY YOU.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have not mentioned how your children and grandchildren are dealing with this mutual loss. What were your thoughts as you spent time with each of them over the holidays?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home